Photo Tour Botswana
An adventurous, semi-luxurious camping safari with Mike Muizebelt
* Price based on own private tent and rooms *
* ALL INCLUSIVE *
* Only 5 participants for a lot of space in the 10 person game viewer *
* See more than just 1 game reserve; we make an adventurous trip where you get to know the most beautiful areas of Botswana *
* both the local guide and the accompanying photographer are masters of their profession *
It's early in the morning, by the light of our headlamps we get ready for our early morning safari. During the night we have already heard some lions and we hope to get them in front of our camera this morning.
As the sky begins to take on some color we drive in the direction of the sound, hoping to pick up their tracks. Because we are the first to enter the area, we get an idea of the nightly activities based on the tracks on the road. The oval feet in combination with straight lines in the sand betray the presence of a porcupine, the print of a broad front foot with a small hind foot indicates a passing brown hyena. Fortunately, we also pick up the trail of a lion! Judging by its size, it is an adult male, no doubt the lion we heard in the night. We follow the trail for a few more kilometers until we suddenly see him lying on an old termite mound.
We are in southern Moremi, one of the hotspots in Botswana and a truly unique place for wildlife photographers and safari enthusiasts alike!
Are you joining us to a safari through this fantastic place on a unique photo tour?
In August and September 2024 I will travel again with a small group of photographers and safari enthusiasts through the most beautiful nature reserves of Botswana. Together we discover all the highlights of this breathtaking country:
Central Kalahari Game Reserve, the Okavango delta, Moremi, Khwai, Savuti and Chobe. Everything is covered in this adventurous photo tour through this beautiful country. I attach great importance to a total experience and therefore consciously choose not to stay in just one area for a longer period of time. The diversity of all the areas we visit ensures a diverse and very varied portfolio. Read more below for the full program.
This adventurous semi-luxury camping safari through the most beautiful areas of Botswana will be held for the eighth time in 2024. The trips for 2019 and 2020 were always fully booked at least a year in advance. After Corona threw a spanner in the works, the photo trips from 2022 were again a resounding success.
Dates for this unique trip
– August 29 to September 13, 2024 – FULL
– September 15 to September 30, 2024 – Optional trip (3 places available)
Botswana into the Wild. September 2023.
A beautiful photo tour through the nature parks of Botswana with professional photographic guidance from Mike. We slept in luxurious tents with real, comfortable beds. Everything was organized down to the last detail. Mike gave great photography tips, the food was delicious and we had a lot of fun. The days started with a quick breakfast by the campfire while the sky turned orange and ended at the same campfire with full SD cards under a breathtaking starry sky. It was a special experience to be so close to the animals and observe their interaction. Learned a lot, inspired, and returned home with beautiful memories.
Botswana – Into the Wild 2023
If your life is the collection of your memories, Botswana – Into the Wild with Mike Muizebelt makes a wonderful contribution to your existence, an enrichment. With passion, professionalism and humor, Mike and his local team will guide you through the impressive beauty of Botswana and offer you every opportunity to enjoy it. As a lover of nature and culture. As a traveler. As a photographer. As a bon vivant.
Botswana into the wild 2023
We experienced this trip as a fantastic adventure. Lots of wildlife spotted at beautiful locations and at the best times of the day. Coming home with 10,000 photos in your pocket. Awesome!!
Mike Muizebelt is the photographer who designed and supervised this special trip. Unparalleled and unforgettable thanks to his knowledge and dedication. I have not yet met a better and more knowledgeable tour guide.
16-day photo tour with professional local guidance and camp crew
Highlights of this photo tour through Botswana
- You will visit Botswana's largest game reserve, the Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- You will stay no less than 4 nights in two different camps in the most beautiful nature reserve of Southern Africa, Moremi Game reserve
- You travel though iconic Savuti, known for the many documentaries that have been made there
- Along the Chobe river front you can enjoy, among other things, the largest elephant population in the world
- During a boat safari along the Chobe river front you come at eye level with a great diversity of animals
- You stay at remote Hatab or BOGA campsites in the middle of the wilderness. An unforgettable experience
- You sleep in spacious Meru tents measuring 3.5 x 5 meters where you lie on a... real bed sleeps
- If you travel alone you have everything at your disposal own tent and rooms in the lodges. So plenty of space to relax in your own place!
- Our crew, with its own back-up vehicle, takes care of setting up and dismantling the camp so that we can focus on our photography and the experience of the fantastic nature
- We stay in the various areas for a longer period of time so that we have all the time to work on a varied portfolio
- By traveling with a small group of maximum 5 participants there is the certainty of maximum attention and you get plenty of opportunity to pay extra attention to your own favorite subject
- Our open safari car has its own USB charging points for each participant
In my opinion, Botswana is one of the most beautiful safari countries in Africa. Botswana is located in the heart of southern Africa and is approximately 16 times larger than the Netherlands and 19 times larger than Belgium. The greatest distance from east to west is 1,050 km and from north to south 920 km. Botswana borders Namibia and Zambia to the west and north, Zimbabwe to the east and South Africa to the south. The capital of Botswana is Gaborone.
Nature in Botswana is full of beautiful contrasts. The north of the country is characterized by a succession of national parks. The Okavango Delta lagoons, marshes, reed beds and wetlands form the largest inland delta in the world. The Moremi Game Reserve is part of the Okavango Delta. Chobe National Park is best known for its large elephant populations. Harder to reach safari areas are: Kwando, Savuti and Linyanti. Further south, the country becomes increasingly drier. In the desert-like region of the Kalahari, animals have managed to adapt to the dry climate. Due to the ecological vulnerability, the government has deliberately chosen not to develop mass tourism in Botswana. Botswana has all the ingredients for an exclusive safari experience!
The ultimate way to make a safari through these areas is to camp in the middle of this nature. And that is exactly what we are going to do on this safari! Only then will you have the pure experience that makes a safari so special. This unique photo tour has been put together in such a way that we will experience Botswana in a magnificent and very personal way.
During our game drives we certainly don't look at an hour and you can be convinced that we will enjoy what Botswana has to offer to the fullest.
Our private campsites in the middle of the National Parks or private concessions are located in specially designated places in the middle of the bush and the chance that animals visit the camp is high. We enjoy the darkness with only some light from the moon and the campfire. A wonderful way to enjoy (and photograph!) the starry sky. Undoubtedly we will regularly hear noises from the animals that visit the area around our campsite. A pure experience and an experience you will never forget.
Our adventurous camping safari is of course all about photography and we naturally provide sufficient opportunities to charge batteries. During the trip, all photographic techniques that we can use will be amply discussed. I would like to share my years of photography experience with you.
To ensure that we will be on the road every day during the best light, extra back-up vehicles will be with us. The big advantage of these backups is that on transfer days we don't have to wait until the camp is broken down again and the car/trailer is packed again. Together with our guide we can make the most of our time. So we are on the road with our own game drive car, while the camp assistants clean up the camp and move it to the next destination.
Part of this trip is of course also a meet & greet in Voorschoten where an extensive briefing will prepare you well for this trip.
Why a safari with me? How do I make a difference?
We travel to the most beautiful nature reserves and national parks so we have everything in place for making the perfect photo. We prefer to stay at least 2 nights at each location, in the larger parks even 3. That way we have enough time to explore everything thoroughly, without having to rush.
We don't travel on and on and so we don't just see Africa from our 4×4. Where possible we leave the car and experience nature walking through the area where we are. This way we avoid the obstacles that shooting from a car can entail.
We make an early morning and late afternoon safari almost every day anyway. We make optimal use of the best light (and that is often spectacular in Africa!) We decide for ourselves how long we want to go on a photo safari. Normally we travel from point A to B in the afternoon on a relocation day. Otherwise, the afternoon is for yourself to relax while enjoying a nice lunch or a cool drink.
Through my years of experience I am a specialist in finding the places to take some awesome images during your trip. In addition to classic photography, we naturally also work on a creative and varied portfolio. All travel destinations are also at least 1, but often already visited several times by me, so that I also have a "plan B" ready at all times.
Because an extra guide (and sometimes even a private cook) goes along, there is a lot of time for me to hold short presentations and photo discussions in between. This way there is always room for optimal knowledge transfer.
In the Netherlands I work with a tour operator who is a true Africa specialist. In Africa I only work with authorized local operators who know the area in depth and have extensive experience. We leave nothing to chance.
The trips are small-scale so that individual attention is guaranteed and there is plenty of space for everyone (such as the guaranteed private window seat).
Every trip is offered as complete as possible, no extra costs such as meals, entrance fees, tips, etc. Extra expenses are often limited to some minor personal expenses.
I can also organize private photo tours where we will compose the trip to your individual wishes, everything is possible! Feel free to join up with a group of friends for a detailed trip-itenerary.
Itinerary day by day:
- Day 1: Departure from Amsterdam
- Day 2: Arrival in Johannesburg, onward flight to & overnight in Maun
- Day 3: Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- Day 4: Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- Day 5: Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- Day 6: Maun
- Day 7: Moremi Game Reserve
- Day 8: Moremi Game Reserve
- Day 9: Moremi Game Reserve / Khwai – Including Mokoro expedition
- Day 10: Moremi Game Reserve / Khwai
- Day 11: Savuti
- Day 12: Savuti
- Day 13: Chobe
- Day 14: Chobe – including private boat trip along Chobe river front
- Day 15: Departure from Kasane to Johannesburg and onward flight to Amsterdam
- Day 16: Arrival in Amsterdam
These short video impressions of the photo trips to Botswana give an excellent idea of the nature and species diversity that Botswana will offer us. The images were taken during the 2022 and 2023 editions of this trip.
This unique photo tour of Botswana focuses mainly on the wildlife and the unforgettable experience of a mobile camping safari. Our comfortable camp is set up and dismantled by our skilled crew (in their own back-up vehicle) so that we can fully focus on our photography.
We use our own specially equipped 4×4 with plenty of space for each participant and their own window seat. The structure of the trip makes it suitable for photographers of all levels, but travel enthusiasts and non-photographers are also very welcome. The trip is fully focused on finding game under the best conditions so that even non-photographers will have the best safari experience.
The price of this trip is € 8,350.00 pp and a maximum of 5 participants can join this unforgettable safari. This price is based on single occupancy of the rooms in the Maun & Kasane lodges, so unlike many other trips you don't have to share a tent or room! Are you traveling with your partner? Then we will of course ensure that you share your accommodation.
After registration, a deposit of € 2,500 is required to reserve a place on this unique photo tour.
Early bird promotion.
In collaboration with my sponsor Think tank, distributed by Transcontinenta, there has been a great early bird promotion for this photo tour since February 2024. If you book and pay for this trip before March 31, 2024, you will receive the unbeatable ThinkTank Streetwalker hard drive V2.0 worth € 284.99 for free. This photo bag is a handy backpack where you can determine the layout of the internal dividers entirely according to your own wishes. There is enough storage space for at least two cameras, 4 lenses and accessories such as a 15-inch MacBook and a 13-inch tablet. There are also extra pockets on the front and side. You can also attach a tripod to the front, so that you can easily take it with you on the go and keep your hands free. It is not without reason my favorite safari photo bag!
• All accommodation on a full board basis (where no single supplement applies)
• Transport in a 4×4 safari vehicle with a guaranteed window seat
• All regular meals and drinks
• Continuous photographic guidance and assessments of results on a regular basis
• Services of a locally registered and experienced (English-speaking) safari guide and own back-up crew for setting up and dismantling the camp
• All entrance fees and excursions as described in the itinerary
• Transfers to and from Maun and Kasane airport
• International flights and possible airport taxes
• All meals not included in the detailed itinerary
• Items of a personal nature (telephone charges, souvenirs, medicines, etc.)
• Travel and cancellation insurance
- All items and services are subject to availability at the time of going ahead with this trip. In consultation we can switch to a comparable accommodation
- There is the possibility that Dutch/English speaking guests will travel with this trip
- For all my trips I work together with the experts in the field of Africa travel: BMS-Travellers